How can I get a free dog?
- Fostering a dog: You can work with a local shelter or rescue and take a puppy or dog into your home on a limited basis.
- Visit or volunteer at a dog shelter or rescue: There are many nonprofit, no-kill shelters nationwide that are always looking for dependable and devoted volunteers.
Is it hard to own a dog?
Owning a dog is a priceless experience, but it also takes a lot of hard work. Getting started is the hardest part, especially if you’ve never owned a dog before. Having a dog is like a less self-sacrificing version of having a child.
How much does it cost to own a dog?
The cost of owning a dog can be estimated at about $1,400 to $4,300 per year. There are ways to save money depending on the choices you make. Contributing factors include your dog’s size and age, the region in which you live, your own lifestyle, and your dog’s individual needs.
Where do I go to get a dog?
- Rescue Groups. Rescue organizations generally place animals without operating a facility to house them.
- Breeders. If you want a purebred dog, find breeders in the national dog magazines, visit a dog show or surf the Internet.
- Internet. Finding the right dog may be only a mouse click away.
- Breed Rescue.
- Pet Stores.